Random Acts of Violence (2013)



There are times where I decide to wait to watch a movie, as something intrigues me, but not enough to give in and check it out. That was the case with this next flick on the list. While I have seen it on the shelf for some time, something kept me from pulling the trigger. I finally did over the weekend. Here is my take of the 2013 black-comedy / horror Random Acts of Violence (AKA Charm).


Plot/ A New Yorker who gets tired of how gentrified, tepid and antiseptic it is all become. So he decides to take matters into his own hands by personally starting a crime wave which he hopes will catch on and drive real estate value down, opening up the city to bohemians, artists and a swell of creativity, just like the supposed good 'ole days of the 1970s and 80s. The only problem is: Nobody is paying attention.



When I see no-budget indie flicks that look interesting, I just have to check them out. This movie was one that I debated about for some time before checking it out. Definitely more of a black comedy / uneven mockumentary than straight horror movie, there were some solid parts. The acting is decent; the scripting works, and the characterization is spot on for an unlikable lead. Unfortunately, the pacing is off and some of the storyline is a touch incoherent in its overall development. In the end, it is a random journey into the mind of a psychopath and a movie that has some entertaining moments. Perfect, Hell no, but intriguing none-the-less. If you enjoy random no-budget indie flicks, give it a shot. If not, definitely stay away.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)