Harbinger Down (2015)



Still feeling the remnant of yesterday’s miserable experience with Martian Land, I decided that I needed to go in a different direction for my next flick. After some thought, I went with some low budget horror, with 2015s Harbinger Down. 


Plot/ A group of grad students have booked passage on the crabbing boat Harbinger to study the effects of global warming on a pod of Belugas in the Bering Sea. When the ship's crew dredges up a recently thawed piece of old Soviet space wreckage, things get downright deadly.


After suffering through last night’s low budget misery from The Asylum, this Kickstarter funded entry demonstrated what can be done with a smaller budget. Sure, it is not perfect, but I believe it met the goal in creating a non-CGI horror flick using practical effects. Personally, I loved the classic 1980s low budget feel and was amazed at how much it reminded me of these dark evening that I had growing up with my local video store. In all, this flick had some solid performances, including a solid outing from horror favorite Lance Henriksen, so decent effects, and a solid premise. Unfortunately, this one did feel like the storyline was taken straight from the classic entry The Thing and the scripting was uneven, but those elements were only minor in the grand scheme. In the end, this one may not be for everyone, but if like me, you love 1980s big box horror, then you should definitely check this one out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)