OUIJA: Origin of Evil (2016)



Supernatural movies are always fun, especially when the subject matter is something that is tangible (at least from a certain perspective). One such topic is the OUIJA Board, and whether it is a tool for darkness or a simple game. Personally, I have no real opinion on the legitimacy of the talking board, and where it should be placed, but it is an interesting topic for movies to explore. For my next review, I will be diving into the 2016 entry Ouija: Origin of Evil.


Plot/ In 1965 Los Angeles, a widowed mother, and her 2 daughters add a new stunt to bolster their séance business and unwittingly invite authentic evil into their home. When a supernatural spirit overtakes the youngest daughter, the family confronts unthinkable fears to save her and send her possessor back to the other side.


It is rare for a sequel to live up to the expectations set by the source material. That being said, it is even more rare for a sequel to surpass an original, but that is the case with Ouija: Origin of Evil. This movie is so much better than the original, and as a prequel, it makes me wonder what could have been if the entire series was as good as this entry. This flick has a dark, almost creepy atmosphere, some solid performances, and a storyline that is engaging and interesting. Yes, there are some predictable moments and some of the actions of the characters make little sense, but those elements do not really bring the flick down in any way. In the end, the retro feel, interesting storyline, and overall quality make it the best of the series, and a lot better than I expected when I went to see it with one of my daughters.


Comments

  1. I watch horror movies since I was a teenager and I switched from non-visible horror like >> The Haunting of Hill House to other supernatural movies to the classic slashers to 90s teen horror - to Asian horror and I am still very open to movies, I had never watched before...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)