The Raking (2017)



Yes, I said I would get to a review of 1984 tonight, but decided to finish up with one of the films I watched this weekend. That movie is the 2017 low budget entry The Raking.


Plot/ A group of college co-eds embark on a weekend-long camping trip as part of a Cultural Anthropology project to research an internet Creepypasta urban legend.


I love stories based on urban legends, especially when I find one that matches one of my favorite songs (The Rake by The Decemberists). With this one being a lower-budgeted indie flick, I also expected to find some issues. As an indie film fan, I can look past some of the issues that typically plague them, and this one was no different suffering through many of these matters. I did like the storyline (although the execution was a touch off) and thought that the performances were on par with the budget. While those were some positives, the movie never truly reaches its potential with some uneven editing, some dialog/scripting issues, and an overall lack of darkness or atmosphere. In the end, this entry from Brain Damage Films may not be the best in the genre, but it does have a few entertaining moments that could help pass some time during the 2017 Snowpocalypse that is moving up the coast tonight and tomorrow.


Comments

  1. Nice nice. Really taking up writing i see Mihalko.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)