Night of the Living Dead (1990)



As I sit down tonight, I wanted to finish with the last movie I watched last week that I haven’t had time to review. While many people will shun this one because it is a remake (and I was one), it does deserve to be seen. That movie is the 1990 zombie flick Night of the Living Dead.


Plot/ The unburied dead return to life and seek human victims.


I will be one of the first to admit that I had stayed away from this one for a long time. As a fun of the original masterpiece, it was difficult for me to even consider watching a remake that in my opinion was not needed. However, after the tragic passing of George Romero, I wanted to venture back into this influential world and give the remake a shot. Directed by Tom Savini, this one was actually much better than I expected, and I am disappointed that I waited so long to give it a shot. Clearly made for a different generation of viewer, this version does off many of the same social commentaries that made the original so powerful. The zombie make-up is amazing, the updated characterizations (especially Barbara) work really well, and it is fun to watch everything come to life in color. Yes, the colorization does take away from some of the darker atmosphere and there was much less gore than I would have expected with Savini at the helm (but, I do understand because the film stayed true to the original), but those are but minor flaws in the overall world of the living dead. In the end, this movie was much better than I anticipated and it is a movie that is worth watching (at least once). If you have not seen it, give it a shot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)