IT (1990)



As I prepare to go see the new blockbuster IT, I decided that I wanted to venture back into the mind of Stephen King for a few days this week. So I figured that there was no better way to end this week than a trip back to 1990 for the King classic IT!


Plot/ In 1960, seven pre-teen outcasts fight an evil demon who poses as a child-killing clown. Thirty years later, they reunite to stop the demon once and for all when it returns to their hometown.


As I prepared this week to go see IT, I don’t think it would be prudent to see the film unless I revisited the 1990 miniseries that made people fear clowns. First off, Tim Curry is amazing as Pennywise, interpreting the darkness of the evil clown perfectly. Based on a huge novel by Stephen King, the adaptation was sound; striking a nice balance between the materials from the novel that was necessary and unnecessary. Yes, some of it was a touch bizarre, but that fit the storyline. Other than that, the cast was interesting and because it was a made for television event the lack of gore and onscreen violence is to be expected. Unfortunately, the production values reek of lower quality television, the visuals are average at best do not capture the atmosphere in the way that it should, and the performances are a little flat. In fact, because of the run-time, it is debatable on whether or not the film is too long or short, an answer that even watching it again has me questioning. The worst part is the ending, which was somewhat of a letdown in comparison to the craziness from the source material. In the end, this was a fun and nostalgic look back at a miniseries that did leave an imprint on society. While it is rough in some spots, I feel that it is a great primer for the movie I am about to see. It may not be perfect, but if you haven’t seen it, give it a shot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)